Monday 21 January 2019

No more looking into the mirror for me

Please note that this is NOT a review, I am not interested in writing "yet-another-Z7-review", there are plenty out there, so if you want to read a review just google, I will not post a link to anyone.

Note also that all the images, except the first one, are taken with my new Nikon Z7 camera and the 24-70/4 S lens. All images are clickable, so if you wish to see larger sizes, just click on any of the images.
 

As of beginning of November 2018 I no longer have a DSLR. Since the 9th of November I own and use a Nikon Z7, which is Nikon's first mirrorless full frame camera. I decided to buy a 3-piece kit, consisting of the camera body (of course), the 24-70/4 S lens and the FTZ adapter, which enables the use of Nikon F-mount lenses on the Z7.




I traded in the D800, together with two lenses, the 24-120/4 GVR and the 105/2.8 GVR Micro. I wanted a smaller and lighter kit and considered the Z7, together with the 24-70/4 S lens as a good alternative. I kept my other Nikon F lenses, the 60/2.8 G micro, the 50/1.4 G and the 70-300/4.5-5.6 GVR because Nikon currently has no alternative to those, and because they are light enough even with the necessary FTZ adapter.


I have been using the Z7 for over two months now and very happy with the results. It is widely better than I expected in every aspect. I am amazed by the very high image quality at any ISO, the ability to focus under really poor light, the sensor shift based image stabilizer (IBIS), the auto white balance and a lot of other things. Basically, the only disappointment is the poor support for old, manual focus lenses, since the focus indicator LED is not working with old manual lenses. The other thing which was a slight disappointment is the lack of external AF assist light support. I don't know why the AF assist LED of the external flash is never activated. The only possible AF assist light is the one built in the camera, but the LED is misplaced and the light is blocked by my hand or the lens hood. It is completely useless. Never the less, the camera focuses amazingly well without the AF assist LED light, so it is not a big deal for me.


The Z7 is in my opinion an excellent travel camera, it is reasonably light and compact, considering the image sensor size, and as mentioned above, the image quality is far superior to anything I have ever had or seen, even in dark places, like a pub, restaurant or night streets.




With the Z7, my days of DSLRs are over, after these months I am certain that I will never buy a camera with mirror again, except perhaps for nostalgic reasons an old film camera of some sort. The first time I used an SLR was in 1970, starting with the Zenit E, a camera made in USSR. I have used different brands up until 2006, when I started using DSLRs, and now, more than 12 years after it is time for the next big change and a move towards mirrorless cameras. I have used mirrorless for many years now, but only the small, 1" Nikon 1 V1. It was actually that very positive experience which helped me trust the jump to Z7, mirrorless full frame camera from Nikon. I believe I will be just as happy with the Z7 as I was with the Nikon 1 V1. I trust Nikon made the right decision about this camera and I am happy they released it just when I seriously was looking for a lighter alternative to the D800.

I will write some more about the camera later on regarding tests I have made, so please stay tuned and continue to follow up on it, but as I said at the top, I will not write a review.

No comments:

Post a Comment